24 May 2009

Mega-structures...

Our yard doesn't seem any smaller despite the addition of a new pad to hold 250 chicks and another structure to hold 30 more rabbit cages...

Construction for the rabbit roof was rather painless... especially since I found my work gloves... handling the 30 gage tin with unfinished edges doesn't seem to cut these keyboard caloused hands the way it once did...

Last weekend I was able to pour the concrete for the poles and assemble the roof...




In the excitement of finishing the major construction in one weekend... I forgot to nail down the final piece of roofing tin... after the rain storm on Thursday Christine was able to reclaim the tin from our neighbors yard 4 houses down... I might have failed to mention that there was a slight wind that came with the rain...

This weekend was the finish work which included the installation of my first set of gutters... I was rather proud of this accomplishment due to a childhood fascination with the free Gus the Gutter Man combs that were passed out at the Mid-State Fair every year...




Construction for the chick house has gone much longer than expected... but there are "reasons" why it wasn't finished by the April 30 deadline... although it has yet to be determined if these "reasons" will be reflected in the final bill for the project...



Construction on the project didn't even begin until May 1... but only one guy from the company we hired showed up that day... along with 8 random guys from the village... including a 12 year old boy that the others enjoyed watching while they sat in the shade yelling out cat calls at him and Christine... I fired this first set of workers before the first day was finished...
After a round of apologies work continued... but was painfully slow because the original sketches and measurements from the foreman didn't ever make it to the workers... the third time I explained the project... and after another 8-10 attempts from Christine to do the same... I found a piece of charcoal... wrote out instructions and directions on the concrete floor and walls... and prayed that they would wash away in a rainstorm...

Construction seemed to pick up speed at this point... but at times Christine and I felt like hostages in our own home... because we never knew what we would find the workers doing when we returned...


We were forced to give an ultimatum that the work must be finished on Saturday... since the new chicks arrive tomorrow... they finished after dark...

Christine and I still had to put in another 3 hours on clean-up and the GUTTERS today... and we are expected to see the crew for another 2 days this next week to install the water tanks that harvest all the rain water... 

But in the end... enough work was finished for our chicks to find a happy home tomorrow...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks GREAT !!