18 May 2009

Searching for Inspiration... Part 2

It was a rather uninspiring week… in terms of my quest for a message that will inspire others to be as passionate as I am about equipping Christian leaders… fortunately this weekend Noah was able to come to my aide…

 

If I had a million dollars in my pocket I would invest it in training, equipping and empowering leaders… but at last glance my account balance is missing far too many zeros…

 

But I think that is a good thing that I am missing those zeros… because the body of Christ is too diverse for one guy to equip leaders and transform a continent all on his own…  and further if one man was a viable option I think I would somewhere down the list behind guys like Jesus and Jack Bauer...

 

But if I was one of those people with the ability and gift of giving here are a few reasons why I would invest in training Christian leaders…

 

1)   Education is unending

 

It seems everything can be stolen, taken or seized in Africa…

 

Personal property is snatched by cunning thieves around every corner…

 

Land can be seized by investors, politicians and relatives for any reason… valid or not…

 

People are kidnapped, abducted and held against their will by corrupt armies, militia or occult members…

 

But education cannot be taken… no one can steal it, seize it or ask for it back… and a crisis of any kind does not diminish its value but only reveals its worth…

 

You could say that education is the gift that keeps on giving…

 

2)   Education is contagious

 

It’s hard to contain because it spreads from person to person, community to community and generation to generation…

 

An interesting thing about education is that children usually go as far or further than their parents… it is the rare case where you find a child receiving an inferior education than their parents…

 

Beyond that… there is no limit to how much of your knowledge you can share… with things like clothes, food, land and money there is always a limit to how much you can give… but with education you are free to share as much as you have with as many as will listen…

 

3)   Education is empowerment

 

If I were to write a parenting book today I am not sure many people would buy it… sitting still, staying at the table and keeping quiet are not qualities that our boys have mastered due to the fact that I still struggle in those areas myself…

 

For me I like to focus on 2 simple points: a) Loving others and b) fearing God and nothing else…

 

Loving others is something simple like hugging your brother after you beat him up…

 

Fearing God and nothing else is why they exhibit this strange behavior of wrestling goats, catching snakes and searching for monsters…

 

But this weekend I discovered the empowering nature of this simple education…

 

The boys were on a walk with Joseline and a strange man grabbed her… not the kind of story I look forward to hearing about and definitely one that places fear in me…

 

But something stunning happened… Noah ran to her aide, drew his Ninja Turtle sword and commanded the man to leave… and the man released Joseline and ran away…

 

I asked Joseline to repeat the story about 12 times as it sunk in…

 

Finally, I asked her why she thought that Noah came to her aide instead of shrinking away in fear… her answer was simple…

 

“Because you always tell him to protect me and Christine when you aren’t around”

 

Now if a 5 year old boy can act with confidence armed with a Ninja Turtle sword and a simple instruction from his father what would happen if Africa’s future leaders could act with the same confidence armed with instructions from their Father?


4 comments:

Sallie said...

Noah is my hero! Good job Noah!

Love, Nanny

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a sermon. Bless you guys !!!
Marino

Dave Rusco said...

Donna and I were amazed by this story. Our conclusion: Even a child can be powerful in the spirit realm.

Kathy said...

This illustration gave me goosebumps! Your application is so right on!

When speaking with Americans, I often find myself advocating for education for orphans in Uganda, and it's not always an easy sell. I pose the questions that, if children can't even read their Bibles, how can we expect them to be effective spiritual leaders in the future.