21 May 2009

Searching for Inspiration... Part 3

I just did something I've never done before... I watched the Invisible Children movie...

This may be shocking to those that only know about Uganda because of this movie... or even more shocking to those who have told me they know everything about Uganda because of this movie... 

But to be honest I just never watched it because I am jealous of the guys who started the movement... they raise insane amounts of cash... I'm downloading the 2008 Annual Report as I write... they have raised over 7 million USD 2 years in a row... and even better they get a huge number of people to advocate for their programs from rock stars to jr. highers... I can't even get half my friends to join my facebook cause for GBI... I am totally jealous of their fundraising - advocating - awareness raising ability!

I was turned off by the first 12 minutes of the video which gave the impression that you can enter any country or culture and act like idiots because you are white... setting themselves and ant hills on fire, puking repeatedly, taking caps off bottles with your teeth and cutting chickens heads off then watching them run all over... not that I have done any of these things myself but I felt like I was watching a jr. high youth group video... but then it hit me, I was... these guys have raised millions from jr. high, high school and college students... they knew their audience...

Around minute 22 I got over me initial disgust and I got into the story... the footage and stories were compelling and even though I've lived here for 3.5 years and have seen scenes like these first hand over and over... I was holding back the tears... they sucked me into their story and I was moved... plus I am a total chick when it comes to watching TV and crying... did anyone else see the season finale of Grey's? 

I immediately decided to take my video camera out and film a documentary for GBI... but then I remembered the camera is broken and I have no clue how to shot and edit film... we are the first video camera owners on the face of the planet to break a camera from under-use...  

But at the end of the evening I can say that I have learned a ton about knowing my audience and telling a story... the guys at IC hit the mark and have inspired me to do the same...

2 comments:

marcie said...

Hey, if you get the camera running, you know there's some talent at cmpk you might be able to hit up for editing...

Renee Franks said...

Lets talk about this when you get to town and we can get you a camera... i happen to know someone who loves editing... ill help you map it out... because even though IC just looks like a bunch of kids who walked around with the camera it has excellent direction and some serious production behind it.