13 September 2009

Uganda Riots... and everything else...

It may not make the front page of the LA Times but if you google "uganda riots" you will get a glimpse into our last few days...

The president of Uganda and the king of Buganda have been at a stand off over the king's proposed appearance at a youth rally on Friday... the president blocked the king's trip to the youth rally saying that his appearance would spark violent protests... but in blocking the trip the president set off violent protests throughout Kampala and other surrounding regions...

It is hard to know what truly took place in the riots because 5 radio stations have been shut down... most of our news sources have been word of mouth...

Friday I got a call from a friend saying that he heard gun shots by Noah and Kadin's school... my heart raced the entire way to the school... people had thrown trash in the street and lit it on fire in attempts to block the road leading to the school... I didn't bother stopping to see what was taking place... the school was well guarded when I arrived and I felt like they had been well taken care of... they had been trying to call us for awhile but the phones were jammed from all the traffic...

This was the end to one of the most difficult weeks I have had personally in some time...

On Tuesday I got served papers that a loan I had co-signed had defaulted... but I didn't remember ever co-signing a loan for anyone...

Wednesday I requested that the bank some me the original loan papers...

Thursday I discovered that the documents had been forged by a young man that worked for me and that I have been mentoring for the last 18 months... he had used GBI letterhead, the GBI seal, made a false id for me from pictures in my desk and signed my name to over 20 documents... the day after we left for California in June...

All told while I was in the US he borrowed over $10,000 from banks, staff, students and individuals in the community with me as his personal reference on forged documents...

Due to the legal implications this could have on the school and the solid proof of forgery... my stamped passport... I had to turn him over to the bank and they handed him over to the police...

He is now in prison and facing 7 years for forgery...

Friday... after evacuating the boys from school... his fiance came to our home and I had to break the news...

Students report to GBI this weekend... and I have to believe that all these difficulties have a purpose... and that great things are still to come...

4 comments:

Albert kents said...

Hi Pastor Jeff. Sorry to hear the sad news that is happening in Uganda. I hope everyone is safe. Tell me about the Loan Incident more it makes me sad to hear someone tried to forge papers to steal. let me hope GBI'S name is not tarnished. i enjoy reading your blog. Greetings from the Philippines.

Kathy said...

I too believe that great things are still to come. We were never promised that serving the Lord would be easy. In fact, we're promised just the opposite. But it still is sad to hear about what a difficult week you have had, and how someone you trusted turned out to be a fraud. I know that money scams are a huge temptation in Uganda. I am praying right now for a quick resolution to the situation, without it tarnishing GBI's, yours, or God's name, and for peace in your heart in spite of all that is happening around you. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee." Isaiah 26:3. Without that promise, and knowing that the One who promises it speaks truth and is able to accomplish it, what would we have to hold on to in a world of riots, fraud, threats to our family, and whatever else this world offers up? Praying for you and your family today, holding you up to the One who is worth it all.

Sallie said...

Dad was reading about the riots this week. I'm glad to hear everything is okay with you and especially my boys!

Nanny

Beth said...

Wow, I guess I got out just in time ;) But in all seriousness, I'm glad you guys are ok. You both are amazing for staying strong through it all! I think of you all often and keep you in my prayers.