29 December 2009

Thoughts on the Internet...

Greetings to the remnant of the stonesinuganda blog... this is probably the longest break I have ever taken from blogging since beginning 4 years ago...

Thanks to all who have sent personal emails over the past few months to check-in and make sure we are alright...

We are doing great and still loving Uganda more with each passing day... silence used to indicate that things weren't going well... power was out or the internet was giving us fits... these days it just means that life is flying by as we continue the journey of triumphs and trials of life in Uganda...

I've also been processing the role of the internet in my life... I'd just like to say... "My name is Jeff, and I am an internet addict"

So for some clarity I took 8 days off the internet in October and most recently 15 days in December... it's not that I am visiting sites I shouldn't or that I love surfing so much I can't stop... it's more that the internet has become the master and I the slave...

Return email, update personal supporters, return emails, update GBI supporters, return emails, contact foundations, return emails, update blog, return emails, upload pictures and videos to facebook... all this and I haven't even figured out twitter or played fantasy sports...

In the end there other things that are far more important than the internet... my wife, my sons and living in reality rather than creating a reality on the internet... 

I think the other thing that is becoming more clear with time off the internet is that it can be so loud and demanding that God's voice becomes silent in my life... I can spend more time reading other people's thoughts about God than thinking about God myself... I can spend hours of time searching for God on the internet when in reality He is just waiting for me to log off and enjoy Him...

I'm not saying that there aren't sites and tools on the internet that can foster personal grow... it's just that for me there are too many other screens, emails and tasks calling for my attention and pulling my attention from Him...

So for 2010 my goal is to become less of a slave so I can see and hear more from my Master... 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Ooh, you nailed me on this post! I have recently taken some time off myself - checking on email because that's how I stay in contact with our ministry in Uganda, but laying off some of the other stuff. Why? Because I was convicted of spending too much time, letting the good replace the best. But I seem to be back in the thick of things again. I'm sure God shakes His head sometimes over how I can let a thing that is not bad in itself enslave so much of my time. When I am praying about my internet priorities, I will pray for you, too, Jeff. Bless you as you try to reorder your time priorities for you family and your God.