16 April 2010

Asking...

I don't know if it is a cultural thing about being an American but I often feel myself feeling guilty for asking for things... I feel that I am being rude, overstepping someone's generosity or just being greedy... am I the only person that has ever felt this way?

At the same time I also can be offended when people ask me for things... "Mizungu, give me money!" ... "Mizungu, take me to America!" "Buy me a car!" ...And on and on it goes...
I'm not offended by any request but I do seem to have boundaries about how well I know the person and that level of relationship seems to determine what is appropriate for them to ask for... unfortunately these asking issues role over to my prayer life... I can feel guilty for asking or hesitate to ask because I feel I haven't earned the right to ask...

One thing I am learning is that there is no harm in asking... last year one of our graduating students preached on Matthew 7:7-12 "Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you..." The part that convicted me was verse 11 "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him"

If God is our Perfect Father, than what is the harm in asking?

This week I got to see the lesson in action...

 

Since GBI opened I can't think of a semester, class or even a week going by that a student didn't ask me for a bible... but not just any Bible... they asked for Study Bibles, Commentaries, Theologies and on and on...

At times it even made me feel uncomfortable because of all the books I own... other times I was annoyed... and other times I genuinely just wanted to buy the something right then and there... but then where does it end... could I buy 100 study bibles?

 

A month ago I got an email from a publishing company that I have worked with before... the email apologized that they were canceling a grant that I didn't know GBI qualified for... and the guy that I have never emailed before asked if I would be willing to distribute 100 NIV Study Bibles, 100 African Bible Commentaries and 100 books on the Holy Spirit written by an African Theologian to our alumni and faculty...

 
So the past week alumni from all over the country have been visiting me to pick up there Bibles and commentaries... each one thanking me for remembering their request...   
It is pretty convicting knowing that the truth is that they are the ones who asked and God was the one who provided... I'm just the middle man... 

A middle man willing to learn from my students that it is okay to ask!

No comments: