07 May 2010

Appreciation...

One of the many things that happens at Ugandan parties are countless speeches... countless long speeches to be more precise...

This used to drive me over the edge... I'm not the best listener to start with... and I'm not very good at sitting either... so the combined force of these strenuous activities is almost certain to result in me falling asleep no matter where the event is held...

But lately I have found myself less inclined to sleep in public due to what is being said at these parties... whether it is a graduation, wedding or end of the school year celebration the majority of the speeches revolve around the theme of appreciation...

I myself have come to appreciate this because it is something I wish I would do more of... I was taught to write "thank you letters" when receiving gifts and to say "thanks" when given something... but of all the times I have stood in front of crowds I can only count a handful of opportunities to publicly appreciate someone in my life...

On Friday I had an opportunity to make an impromptu speech of appreciation to the son of the man who called me into the ministry... last week he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and was given just a handful of days... so I called at 1 AM California time not wanting to miss the opportunity to appreciate all he had done for me in my life...

Rich was a father to 3 grown men and a spiritual father to thousands of youth in his decades of ministry... he was a model of faithfulness to his wife - at times being credited as the inventor of the "side-hug"... he called and mentored countless pastors, missionaries, elders and deacons in the ministry... and could throw faster under-hand than 97% of men can throw over-hand...


He was a man among boys... or to be more precise he taught boys how to be men... 

He never wrote a book, stood before thousands or had his name written on billboards... but on Saturday a church will be filled beyond capacity, an entire city will mourn and countless others will be grieve from afar...


Rich Fisher invested in my life by calling me and equipping me for a life time of ministry... I could write for days about all he did for me... but I am sure that he has much better things to do now than to read blogs in heaven... so I'll cry for the loss I feel, I'll grieve for the family he has left behind and I will honor his memory by continuing to call and equip others as he once did for me...

I love you Rich...

2 comments:

John said...

Well done Jeff.

Melinda said...

I thought I had run out of tears . . . . nope, here they come again . . .

What a beautiful tribute to an awesome man of God. Thanks