06 May 2010

End of Term Party...

The first term for 2010 ends tomorrow... but last Friday we had a party before the students had to get serious about preparing for their final exams...

I was once a student... and I know that no one really studies for finals until the weekend before... 

This was one of my favorite GBI parties of all time...

The men from North and Eastern Uganda got it started with a song and dance that had everyone shouting and jumping...

 

The students from Western Uganda were next as Alice stole the show with her amazing voice... 

 
The women from Tanzania gave us a him that was so high I am sure they shattered glass all over Gaba... and it was great to see them in traditional dress...
 
Mercy from Kenya was next... 
 
... followed by the young men from Congo...
 
The students from Rwanda and Burundi gave my favorite dance of the day... simply because most of the men just stood and clapped... a traditional dance that I believe I can one day master... I wish I would have gotten video of that one so I could practice...
 
And no matter who was singing and dancing everyone was cheering...

 ...even when our librarian and security guard danced together... 
Last Friday was one of my favorite parties because it reminded me how diverse our students are and what great love they have for each other... a love that is blind to race, tribe and position... 

For a stranger passing by to see students from the North cheering for students from the West... students from all over Rwanda and Burundi singing together... and staff and students dancing and laughing together... there is no doubt that they would see the love of God in this place...

3 comments:

Melinda said...

That's awesome. Do try to learn that dance so that you can perform for us next time you come to the U.S.

Say hello to Christine, Noah and Kadin!

Marcie said...

This is such a beautiful thing!

Lena said...

hey....I thought your dance deserved to be here...Im not quite sure exactly what style it was in but it was definitely entertaining :) I got sooo busy this week I forgot to get these pics from you...they look great! Be ready for me to steal em next week :)