05 June 2010

Another First...

It has been awhile since I have experienced something new in Uganda... but this week I went all in and had my first experience getting stuck in the mud...

This was an uncomfortable experience since there was no cell phone coverage... no houses around... and we were 3 km from the nearest sign of civilization...
 
Fortunately, there were a group of men living in the weeds and reeds who make a living off of getting guys like me unstuck...

First, they had to swim under the car and get a log unstuck from my axle... then they had to dig out the front bumper and tires out from the mud...

 
During this period of unearthing the car we put our faith in a young man to go to town in search of a big truck to pull me out... he came back with a dump truck that needed to be loaded down with mud and sand... along with a mess of tangled steel wire to tie the two cars together... 

The whole time I was thinking about the emergency brake on the dump truck failing and the blue truck sliding backwards to smash the landcruiser...
 
After 3 hours of digging, spinning and pulling the landcruiser was freed from the muddy pit... Then it was time to pay the 20 guys pushing and the 3 guys in the dump truck pulling...

As we left the guys went back to setting the trap for the next sucker to fall in their pit... a great model for sustainable business!


Overall, I really enjoyed the experience... other than the brief moment when I slipped taking pictures and fell face first in the muddy pit...

For everyone else that seemed to be their favorite moment of the experience and I was happy to join them in the laughter...

Some days in Africa don't go as planned... but they are always good for a new adventure...

1 comment:

Sallie said...

Where's the picture of you face first in the muddy pit? BTW, this isn't the first time you got stuck in the mud - remember looking for our house on Linda Vista???