13 July 2010

48 Hours...

The last 48 hours have been strange...

I went to bed Sunday night thinking about purchasing our new property the next morning...

Monday Christine woke me up... which was a bit strange itself... and we immediately began calling our friends to make sure everyone was alive...

Needless to say Monday didn't go as planned... I stood around the bank preparing money transfers watching images of the bombings on the local news... the paper work on the land title wasn't finished and the entire process had me wishing that Uganda had an escrow process for purchasing land... and around 2 PM I left the lawyers office accepting defeat that the deal would not be completed on that day only to find that my car tire had been clamped for unpaid parking tickets... which were all suspiciously from dates I was out of the country... be careful about loaning out your car!

Monday I went to bed at 8 PM exhausted... and then woke up at 10 PM itching...

By the time I got to a mirror my entire body was swollen with red sores... some unexplainable allergic reaction... usually I have no shame but seriously the pictures are disgusting... so I raced to the hospital through the empty streets of Kampala and got there in record time...

No one was there except the doctor and nurse who were surprised to see anyone out the night after the bombing... feeling no shame in the empty hospital I ripped off my shirt and pants and begged for steroids... after the initial shock of seeing a naked white man resembling Bob the Tomato the doctor quickly weighed me and handed me 17 pills... I took them all before asking a thing about dosage...

One cold shower later I was back in bed by 11:45 PM...

Today I was just in a haze... happy not to be itching... justified in my distaste for soccer or Ethiopian food... and relieved that our friends are all okay...

I'm hoping tomorrow is boring and uneventful...

2 comments:

Lena said...

me too...actually, I hoping the rest of the week is boring and uneventful...

Kelly said...

Wow...busy few days. Glad you and your friends are alright.
Here's to a boring week!