07 July 2010

Hello old friend...

It's been awhile since I've been sick so this week I am pulling out all the stops... fever, body aches, waves of sweats, unending trips to the white throne and a mysterious rash...

I went to the doctor and gave a sample of everything... nothing more humiliating than walking around with cups of various samples... even I could have told the doctor I was dehydrated... I just figured the less that is in me the less ammunition to fire out of me...

But the doctor was only interested in the rash... which was only on my hands and arms...

I had only noticed the rash once I reached the doctors office... the bright red color was great for keeping the seats to my right and left open so I didn't have to feel crowded in the waiting room...

Once in his office I was bothered by the attention he was giving to the rash and not the other symptoms which were far more uncomfortable... as he was going through my history he asked if I did anything unusual lately with my hands... after a few moments I remembered I used to get the same rash washing dishes at In n' Out... so  I told him that this weekend I did the dishes for the first time in about 4 years...

At this point he burst out laughing and said "My friend, you've been in Uganda too long... you've become a true Ugandan man!"

If only every aspect of crossing cultures were that easy...

No comments: