22 August 2010

What's Up With The Move?

We are still planning to move... and the sooner the better... our next term begins on Saturday and I still don't know where all the new students will sleep!

The Gayaza Campus looks like it is officially off the map...  for 2 main reasons...
 1. The owner is insisting that we (GBI) don't use lawyers - major RED flag!
2. The owner has 3 children on the Land Title from 3 different mothers... any of the moms can sue us once we purchase the land claiming that their child's rights to the land were not considered...

So unless the owner lawyers up and takes his kids off the title (legally) Gayaza is off the map...

It's a bummer because we liked the idea of living their but for the sake of negotiations I am trying not to get emotionally attached to anything until the deal is signed and sealed...

Now we are officially in our second round of negotiations... Enter Buloba!

It's an 18 acre campus with a boarding high school already on the property... it has more buildings than the Gayaza campus and from what I have learned about eye-balling square footage we could probably start with 250-300 students...

The locations is closer to town... 10 km from the edge of the city and 15 km from the taxi part... which is half the distance that Gayaza was from the taxi park... that makes a huge difference for traveling expense for the students... I think it is universal that college students are broke!


The other nice benefit is that the majority of classrooms and buildings are finished... Gayaza still needed floors, electricity, sidewalks and other finish work... Buloba on the other hand needs some repairs, finishing in a few dorms and I little TLC since it has been unoccupied for the last two years...


With a larger campus there is also more room for expansion and farming... fulfilling my desire of an entirely edible campus... although I still can't stand mangoes or papaya...

Right now I am in the middle of negotiations... This week I will walk through the campus with our contractor and get a better idea of how much the repairs will cost... I also plan to measure the square footage to get an exact idea of our student capacity... then I will have a more accurate ballpark figure... it should be more than Gayaza but I'm hoping not much more...

The staff and I are also going out on Wednesday to pray at the campus... the last time that happened the tide turned and we ended up with a clear "no" to Gayaza... our prayer remains the same... a clear "yes" or a new direction...

To be continued...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Exciting days! Love your new option and praying with you as you see what God decides.

mboden said...

Jeff, great talking with you today. Glad things are going well. Really great news about buying the property for the new campus! Praise God!