06 September 2010

Jeff's Amazing Time-Saving Idea... and the voice of God...

For months I have been encouraged by friends, co-works, board members and others to consider getting a personal driver... it's not that I'm the Pope or anything... I just have a lot on my plate...

And my phone seems to ring off the hook every time I drive... and if we end up with a 45-60 minute commute to the boys new school we may want someone we can trust to help drop them off...

Having a driver makes a lot of sense... I could make calls... plan meetings... write notes... relax a bit in between meetings... or even hang out with the boys on the way to school...

But it also seems weird and foreign to me not driving myself...

Well this week I received a sign from God... one of the new security guards for GBI brought in his resume and I saw that he had a college education, a drivers license AND two years experience as a personal driver for a British family...

The gates of heaven opened and I realized that God must want me to have a driver... so I told the guard to be ready to drive me into town in 15 minutes... he was delighted at the prospect of not standing by a gate all day!

I should have realized that something was wrong as we were traveling at less that 10 MPH... but I just informed him that slow does not necessarily mean you are driving safe... being a quick learner he began to overtake a wayward taxi van... but only passing inch by inch...

Soon the oncoming car that was miles away was now closing in... so my new driver yanked the steering wheel... and smashed my landcruiser into the taxi that we had not finished passing... then he continued to drive as if nothing happened...

I kindly asked him to pull over and he asked "why?"... apparently he didn't feel the jerk of the collision or hear then smashing of metal...

***

Isn't it amazing that sometimes we think God is talking directly to us?

But was He?

Or maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear?

It seems that lately I am meeting people everywhere who are hearing God telling them to move to Africa... adopt an African child... plant a church... start a new ministry... and they are all great things... even amazing things... things that must please God!

But I do wonder  if there are times that we are over spiritualizing our personal ambitions... and we look for signs that aren't really there...

Come to think of it... I can now only remember one person suggesting the idea of a driver...

To be continued tomorrow... 

No comments: