07 September 2010

The Voice of God...

It's possible I may have offended a few people yesterday...

Especially the part about people hearing God telling them to "go to Africa, adopt an African child, plant a church or start a ministry"... or even just the idea that these decisions can be over spiritualized...

I'm not trying to offend... in fact I've moved to Africa, we have 2 African teenagers living with us, I've been part of a church plant and started a ministry... 

I'm just trying to make a point...

I find it interesting that we (including me) westerners hear God telling us to "do" rather than to "be"

I can't remember the last time I heard someone say...

"I think God is calling me to be holy"
"I heard God tell me to be patient"
"God is speaking to me because he wants me to be joyful"

And on it goes...

I wonder why it is essential that we have God pushing us to "do" rather than calling us to "be"...

Am I trying to justify my existence? Do I need to tell people that God is telling me to "go" or "do" so they will affirm my existence?

Rather than seeking to "be" in His presence...

Just a few thoughts... or maybe voices... running through my head...

3 comments:

John said...

Amen, be an imitator of Christ. If anyone wants to be great let him....

Great reflection today.

Nanc said...

Thanks Jeff. I'm involved with a committee setting guidelines for short term missions and have been impressed how we want to "do" rather than "be". Thanks for your input in this.

Nancy

Jeremy and Beth Howard said...

Would you care to know if we were offended?