26 November 2010

It's come to camping...

I will be the first person to admit that I don't like camping... I should be a bit more macho about the whole thing... but at the end of the day I like my bed, my shower, my house... and I live in Africa... so why do I need to go camping?

But the other day when asked to go on a guys trip up to Kidepo National Park... THINK: Northern Uganda, cattle raiders, LRA, boarder of Sudan with nothing but tents and 5 guys who can't cook... I found myself saying "yes"...

I don't think it is the lure of camping or the call of the wild... the truth is that if I think to much about the bugs, dirt, sleeping bags and the shame of not knowing how to tie knots I might change my mind and say "no"... the only clear rationale for saying "yes" was that I'm exhausted and I could use about 12 hours of bumpy dirt roads between me and this laptop...

I thought Christine might bail me out and tell me I can't go because she need help with the boys... but after a round of cartwheels and a few victory laps around the house... I really got the feeling that she was alright with me leaving for 5 days...

So tomorrow I'll practice rolling my sleeping bag, Knots for Dummies, and Tent Assembly 101... so that by 5 AM on Sunday morning I can at least resemble a Boy Scout drop out rather than Brownie Troop 419... packed with emergency rations of toilet paper, sun screen, bug spray and a whole list of other things I wish I would have brought once I see the other guys packs...

I'm off to the wild... here's hoping it doesn't rain!

1 comment:

marcie said...

I'm thinking a water filter and anti-parasiste meds will be more important than anything for YOU! Have fun!!