07 November 2010

Was your trip a sucess?

We've been back in Uganda 3 days now and seen most of our friends... the question everyone keeps asking is... "was your trip a success?"

I've been surprised by my lack of a positive answer... the trip was filled with great meetings, new partnerships and a ton of encouragement... but I think the problem begins and ends with my expectations for the trip...

My personal goals were to:
1) Enlist 3,000 new prayer partners for GBI
2) Raise $250,000 for renovations to the new campus
3) Secure 50 new scholarships for the GBI Scholarship Fund
4) Launch a fund raising campaign to build a new house for our family
5) Complete healing from my Reactive Arthritis
Along with meeting donors... establishing new partnerships... talking with families interested in joining us in Uganda... and speaking about missions, poverty, development, dependency and leadership development countless times...

All in 40 days... 13 flights... 17,000 miles... fueled by a calling and caffeine...

Needless to say I think the reason I feel immediate disappointment with myself and the trip is that my expectations were completely ridiculous...

There are a number of things I should be extremely grateful for about this trip
1) Our prayer list grew from 500 to 1100
2) $41,000 was raised in 40 days and a number of churches, organizations and individuals are still considering year end gifts... and the full amount isn't needed until June 2011
3) Scholarships - well that didn't happen at all but we still have 2 months to go...
4) I got approval to build a new house for our family on the new campus and  a newsletter should be hitting our supporters mail boxes in early December
5) My knees were drained and injected with a cortizone cocktail and I had my first run in 4 months...

Great meetings were a plenty.... new partnerships were formed and old ones were cemented... friends and family loved on us and encouraged us the whole way through... and rumor has it that Starbucks stocks are soaring after our short visit...

So it wasn't everything I wanted but probably a more realistic version of what my expectations should have been...

Although a part of me still really wants to see God surprise me and surpass my expectations... and I don't really know if I ever want to be "realistic" when it comes to dreaming about what God can do...

Maybe a few more days a reflection will make the picture more clear...

???

No comments: