20 June 2011

Happy Father's Day...

These pictures have been scrolling across my desk top the last week... as I have been counting down the days until I see Christine and the boys...

It was a very loooooong 3 weeks and I am ready to see them... unfortunately the plane in Dubai isn't ready and so now I am consoling myself with free wi-fi as I wait for the 16 hour flight to LAX...

Any time Emirates... seriously, let's get this flight going!

The boys have been enjoying the last three weeks on the beach... rough life...

The amazing thing about these pictures are that they aren't little boys anymore... they are getting so big...

Although occasionally Kadin can still fake death when sand hits his eye... see below...



Seeing them getting big reminds me of how short my time with them will be... I'm sad enough my flight is delayed by 2-3 hours so I won't even think about Noah heading off to college in 10 years...

Seriously Jeff, get a grip... there is no crying in Dubai...

But I am reminded that the biggest task of parenting is sitting right in front of me... and time won't wait...

I truly believe that the greatest task of a father is to give his children an accurate picture of their heavenly father... it's no coincidence that we go by the same name... "Father"

Working with youth in the US and with a largely orphaned population in Uganda I have seen time and time again the challenges that a young person faces in life when their father gives them a wrong view of a father... abandonment and abuse to name a few... but just as destructive can be a wrong view of forgiveness, grace and love...

I think more than anything this year Father's Day is reminding me that I can build a school for hundreds and even thousands but ultimately my leadership abilities can be rightly judged by how I lead these two boys...

Will they understand the Father's love?

Will they become men of character with the faith and courage to live their lives for the Father?

Will they be as fortunate as me... to say that their dad wasn't perfect but he sure did an amazing job pointing me to the Father!

Something to think and pray about... for all of us who share the name "dad"

Happy Father's Day!

No time to edit... this flight is taking off!

1 comment:

mboden said...

thanks, jeff, for your words. i totally agree that this is our main task as fathers. only grace allows us to be up to the task.