29 September 2011

6 years of faithful support...

Six years ago we got up on stage at Cornerstone Simi to let everyone know we were headed to Uganda... 

Looking back at the video is so weird... Noah (2 yrs old) is so little... Kadin (6 months old)  isn't on stage... he has always been able to steal the stage so we thought it best to let him cry it out in the nursery... Christine's hair is as long as I ever remember it and I'm as bald as Francis... and we look so YOUNG!

This video has been a huge encouragement... a friend forwarded to me 2 weeks ago... this was the weekend where we shared that we needed to raise $40,000 so we could leave for Uganda 3 months later... as we walked off stage someone chased me down the aisle and wrote a check for $40,000 on the spot... by the end of the first service we had $56,000 and Francis joked the rest of the weekend that people needed to stop giving to us...

For the last 6 years we have watched God provide time and time again in ways we could have never imagined... I wish I could say that this has increased my faith and I don't doubt God for anything... but yet I am amazed at how much I still worry and stress over things that I can't control...

Monday I got a switch kick in the gut... for the first time in 6 years our ministry account dipped into the negative... we are short $3,000... and immediately that self-doubt creeps in... have I done something wrong? Is there more I should be doing? What's going to happen?

But these thoughts are foolishness ... how could I even doubt that God has forgotten us after all he has done?

 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

Just as is is getting easier for God to count the hairs on my head... at this point it should be getting easier for me to remember that He is watching over us and knows exactly what we need! 

Now the teacher in me can't just end there... I'm sure more than a few students and alumni are lurking on this blog... and I can't leave the impression that faith leads a passive existence of simply waiting for God to fix the problem, provide the funds or give me a hand-written letter for the next steps (although that would be nice)

I can examine my own life to see if there is un-confessed sin... I can seek wise counsel to see if we are still headed in the right direction... I can remember to pray regularly for our supports (no doubt some have their own financial challenges).... I can re-connect with supporters so they can connect closely with the ministry taking place in Uganda... and most importantly (in my case) I can put aside worry, sleepless nights and grumpy attitudes and turn to God in prayer... remembering that He knows what we need before I even ask...  

He has faithfully provided for 6 years... do I have any reason to doubt that he knows the needs of today?

2 comments:

Mel Chan said...

Wow! That's incredible Jeff! I cant believe its been 6 years! God is so good! And he's using you in a powerful way! God bless!

Mel Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.