04 October 2011

10/4... A favorite holiday!


October 4th will always be a holiday in my book… it’s the day we had Noah… the day I become a Dad! 8 years later there isn’t a moment I will forget… Christine waking me up in the middle of the night… driving 1@! MPH down the freeway…. Regretting offering my hand to Christine as she dislocated each finger with her iron grip… running into the hospital and forgetting everything we had practiced in those baby classes… Noah coming out on the table with no doctor or nurse in sight… and that tiny slimy purple body… my beautiful boy!


Noah came 5 weeks early… before his room was painted… before the crib was made… before a car seat had been purchased… but who is really ready to be a parent anyway?

I think that is why kids really don’t remember much from their first 5 years… it gives parents a chance to catch up and learn along the way…

But there are so many things I want him to remember… staying up all night with bottle in mouth while he and I studied Greek and Hebrew… singing and dancing during bath time… playing chase all over the house…  the morning he and I raced through the hospital to find mom and baby Kadin and he unloaded a gallon of milk through his diaper and down my shirt…and the first year of driving in Uganda shouting with joy "bumpy road, bumpy road" everywhere we went... just to name a few...

It's not like he is turning 18 and leaving the house... but for some reason this year more than ever I feel it is all going by too fast... and for some reason I care more than ever about what kind of man he'll be... 

So for his birthday my wish for him is that a few things about Noah never change...

1) His sweet spirit - Noah is never lacking in the friend department... classmates love him, teachers adore him and strangers are instantly taken by him... he has a considerate side that genuinely cares about other people... making them feel welcomed, loved and appreciated... he truly is the best host in our home... I'll never forget the time he opened his piggy bank to make sure some friends of our had enough money to make it home to the US after visiting us... they felt awful taking money from a 5 year old but Noah felt so good about sharing!
2) His care / tolerance / patience for others (especially with Kadin) - little brothers are not easy to live with... or so I have been told by my parents and older sister. We get away with more but we never realize it because we are still always being disciplined. Noah has every reason to sleep in his own bed but still after 8 years he chooses to share with Kadin. Noah is the first one to comfort Kadin after he is disciplined or to share with Kadin when he has lost his whatever or had it taken away. And for as much as they fight (they are boys) there is more harmony and love between them than the majority of brothers I've seen - much to the credit of Noah biting the bullet and choosing to be selfless when he needs to be (I have no doubt that his future wife is pleased to see these qualities already developing in him). 
3) His ability to understand and embrace life  -sure he is ahead of the curve in school (have you met his mom?)... but much more than books he quickly understands life in general... traveling and moving so often our first few years Noah was never too unsettled he always knew that your home can change but your family is where you belong... Noah also understood the gospel as soon as I explained it... enough so that he spent nights preaching fire and brimstone to ensure that Kadin didn't go to hell... some times I forgot that he is just turning 8...
From his first school play where he narrowing avoided tears to his first swim meet where he pulled in two 1st place ribbons my heart longs to see him enjoy life to the fullest and succeed with every step... but the older he gets the bigger his world becomes and the less I can control... Thursday is his first class overnight trip a whole 2 hours away... I've been dreading it for weeks...

But this is good... I still have another 10 or so years... enough time to remember that he was never mine alone to begin with and enough time to keep pointing him to the one I pray he belongs to forever!

Noah on your birthday... and every other day of the year... never forget that you are loved and that we are proud of you! You're exactly the way God made you to be... and my prayer is that you will allow Him to shape you into the man that He wants you to be!

No comments: