03 January 2012

40 Day Fast

I'm going to forfiet any spiritual credit points I earned through this fast up front... I doubt I earned any since it was against my will from the beginning and since it will end up being only 35 days from start to finish...

But all the same I think I at least deserve a pat on the back for surviving for 35 days without my Mac...

On December 12 my Powerbook for the last 4 years went home to be with Steve Jobs... I tried tech support, mouth to mouth and u-tube fix it yourself videos for the first 48 hours of futility... then I decided to use the PC at the Front Desk at ARCC for a week (this led to many awkward responses from staff, students and visitors seeing the Principal up front) but in the end little can be accomplished in the middle of the daily circus... so for the past 2 weeks I have been borrowing a 2002 Dell Laptop with a British keyboard...

A full fast of no computer from Christmas to New Years ended up being a much better option...

Now I am counting the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the next team arrives on Jan 15 with my new Mac... it is going to be an airport reunion beyond anything ever experience on the big screne...

A few great lessons were revealed along the way of my mac-less journey...
1) Back up your computer more often than every other month....
2) There is no need for a computer from Dec 20 - Jan 1 other than keeping up on sports scores...
3) Technology is more addictive than caffiene...
4) I really should take a week off the computer a few times a year...  minus the broken computer
5) Old Computer + Ugandan Internet and Power Outages = Stone Age

And to all who are still waiting for email responses, attachments, skype calls and the rest... I'll use the overused Ugandan saying for "I don't know when I will get to it"...

"It's on its way coming!"

No comments: