18 January 2012

6 Years in Uganda...

I have nothing particularly deep or profound to say about staying in Uganda for 6 Years... those thoughts will have to wait for a little more reflection... 

But our 6 Year anniversary did not pass by without an "African moment" if you will... 
When we arrived 6 years ago the extent of my car knowledge was my ability to fill it with gas and taking them to Wal-Mart every 3,000 miles for an oil change...

But on Monday night the boys and I (along with our friend Steve) were stuck in the ARCC parking yard at sundown and the car wasn't starting... this is a regular occurence of late and I have been delaying repairs until our family funds go up a bit... which has led me to become an expert in jumping cars... 

But when no other cars are around... what do you do?

After exhausting the options of who to call for a jump... I decided to think differently about the situation and ask... "What would MacGyver do?"

The only thing that came to mind was to connect the two batteries and see if the car could jump itself... 

And it worked...

So now I no longer have to pay random strangers $5 for a jump... since no one will help the poor mizungu for free... now I just jump myself... 

Does anyone know why this works?

And a special thanks to all our family and friends who have supported us for 6 years! Thanks for sending us and keeping us in Uganda!

2 comments:

Jamesdon and Coryn said...

Love It!

This works because in the old lancruisers, the two battery system isn't ran together. I believe it's called parallel. One battery is for starting and one is for the accessories in the car. I also learned this while being there when y buddy mosses grabbed one battery out of his car and jump started it by holding it next to the other one, all while holding two wrenches (spanners) to the contact point.

PROUD OF YOU!

~Jamesdon

Tri Julianto said...

greatt blog.... i follow your blog please follback...
if you want to know about Indonesia Country...

http://wisataindonesia23.blogspot.com/