29 January 2012

Goodbye Old Friend...

It's difficult to say good by to a friend who has stuck by my side for our entire stay in Uganda... he has helped us to places we have never been or even thought we could make it to... delivered us safely through riots, mobs, storms and rivers... taught me the art of 4X4 and more car repairs than I ever thought possible... and has become a favorite to many of our visiting friends...

But now that we are a commuter family and this off-road dig hog has out lived his usefulness... and needs to be freed... freed from the world of pavement, tarmac, stoplights and roundabouts... and sent back off-road where he belongs... where he should be free to enjoy his final days passing where no Rav4, Prado or Subaru could ever dream of...

I've always believed that the car you own is the cheapest car to own... but moving from two cars to one car is even cheaper... so we are cutting the strings, signing over the registration and sending my '92 Toyota Landcruiser VX back into the wild... he's 20 years old but the roads in Africa make cars age in dog years... he's paid his dues and deserves to enjoy his retirement off road where he belongs...

I'm sure the adjustment period will take some time but I have already navigated the taxis through town last week and discovered the awkwardness of three men on a boda (and yes, I had the misfortune of riding middle)... with inflation high and personal support low we have decided to be a one car family for the next 8-12 months until we can afford another commuter vehicle to get the boys back and forth to school...

Although I grieve the most... I know the boys are also a bit sad... "Daddy's Jeep" is the first car they can remember... and it still feels like yesterday that I can hear a two-year old Noah giggling with joy and shouting "Bumpy Road, Bumpy Road" everywhere we went... Kadin will also miss his evening perch (the roof rack) where he frequently stands with sword drawn looking and shouting down on the rest of the world...

So goodbye old friend... and thanks for the ride!





No comments: