08 January 2012

Hooked on Phonics

Learning to read for me was like learning to dance with two left feet... but let's be honest... even with a right foot and a left foot I still can't dance!

Reading comes natural for some kids but for others it is just a jumbled pile of letters and hopefully some good pictures... Noah is a natural at reading and is in the top of his class (thank you Christine for passing that on to him)...  Kadin is like his dad... reading sessions can quickly turn to tears and frustration...

Fortunately, I eventually caught up with my class by 4th grade...and yes, I no longer cry when I read... unless you are asking me to read "Where the Red Furn Grows" - animals should never die in children's books...

So I've decided to do for Kadin what my mom did for me... I decided to make it my mission to teach Kadin to read...

For the Christmas school break we have been holding two-a-days... two reading lessons a day (with a special treat of only one lesson on Christmas)...  a friend (thanks Penny!) recommended a book on teaching your child to read in 100 days...the goal is to have 42 lessons completed by the time he returns to school on Monday... and we are on target!

As I believed when my mom was teaching me... the English language makes no sense at all!

Of - is pronounced "ov"
The - is pronounced "tha"

And on and on it goes... how is a little boy who doesn't like rules to start with to follow reading rules that make no sense at all!

But don't worry Kadin there is hope... jusd remmembar u caan servive adulthod wyth spel chek....

No comments: