10 January 2012

Training your children

The longer I am a parent the more I realize that training children is hard work... the older they get the more they develop minds of their own...

Recently I have been tackling a huge issue with the boys...

It all started on a Saturday 1PM exactly... I was trying to watch SportsCenter on ESPN... within three minutes they were both blocking the TV and asking for Disney Jr and Nat Geo Wild.... I couldn't believe it... with the NBA season starting, NFL Playoffs around the corner and MLB Hot Stove they could care less... Since Sports Center is only on at 1 PM and 1AM I never see it during the week... my perfect Saturday afternoon was ruined...

I realized I had failed as an American Dad... no boys have no love for American sports!

So I resolved then and there to take action.... "Noah grab your glove... Kadin grab the bat... it is time to teach you about baseball"

It wasn't pretty... Noah tried the glove on his right hand and head before figuring out to put it on the left hand... Kadin immediately charged the bushes using the bat as a sword... and I realized that pitching underhand from 6 feet away leads to scenes fit for America's Funniest Home videos with the dad getting drilled by his son's big hit...

But we stuck to it... Noah is now asking to play catch and Kadin will play but only when it is his turn to bat... and this weekend I woke up to find Noah checking to see what was on ESPN... and I got to enjoy a solid 7 minutes of the NBA with no complaints... until it was time for Jake and the Neverland Pirates...but still its progress...

Now it is true that this is a selfish quest... teaching my boys to love American sports... but the older and more independent they get the more I realize that I can no longer get by with being the greatest thing in the world just because I am dad... I will have to find things that we can enjoy together or they will find someone else to spend their time with... so I am going to keep swinging for the fence and trying to pass on my love for sports...

Maybe by summer we could make it through a whole game... or at least the highlights!

No comments: