18 February 2012

Hobbies: Birding

We live in a birding paradise. Uganda is home to a large variety of birds. Since moving out of the city, I have noticed the vast array of birds flying over, through and into our yard. We even have a tree that seemed to house an entire community of big blue birds that I have since learned are great blue turacos.

Most evenings Noah and I sit in the middle of our yard and watch the birds fly around. Since Kadin is my constant companion at the ARCC farm, I treasure this alone time with Noah. He has quite the eye for fine details that helps us identify which bird we saw. For Christmas I got a birds of East Africa book and with the 1350 bird species listed, it can be overwhelming to find the birds we see. Here are some photos of birds we have seen lately, both in our yard and in Jinja. Give us some more time and then when you come to visit us, Noah and I can expertly point out all the birds we see.
Pied Kingfisher
Malachite Kingfisher
Brown-rumped Bunting
Great White Egret, Purple Heron and a bird I cannot remember

No comments: