09 March 2012

KONY 2012: Do we have more faith in Obama than we have in God?

I can't believe the internet traffic this has created...

Just to be clear:
1) I do want Kony captured
2) I do want Americans to care
3) I have read the whole IC site and I am not starting an anti-IC campaign
4) I do think we have to do something as Christians

But friends there is a FALSE GOSPEL within the church in America!

It is a false belief that Obama and our government have more power than the Creator of the World. It is a false belief that the American military has more power than that Savior of the World. I have seen more faith in Social Media, the US Government and 3 great filmmakers than I have ever seen at one time in the church.

Why are we not crying out to God for justice?

Why are we not spending 27 minutes in prayer?

I am writing because I believe the church of Christ must see the gospel as the foundation of justice rather than the military might of the US military. Jesus is the Savior of the World! Not Obama!

Take just 2 minutes and read these scriptures:
Deuteronomy 32:35-36
It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
   In due time their foot will slip;
their day of disaster is near
   and their doom rushes upon them.”
 36 The LORD will vindicate his people
   and relent concerning his servants
when he sees their strength is gone
   and no one is left, slave or free

Deuteronomy 32:43
 “Rejoice, O nations, with His people;
For He will avenge the blood of His servants,
And will render vengeance on His adversaries,
And will atone for His land and His people.”

Psalm 31:14-16
14 But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD,
I say, “You are my God.”
15
My times are in Your hand;
Deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me.
16
Make Your face to shine upon Your servant;
Save me in Your lovingkindness.

Psalm 94:1
  The LORD is a God who avenges.
   O God who avenges, shine forth. 


Stopping Kony will not end injustice and end the problems of these innocent children in Africa.

I have been accused of "faith without works" and encouraging people to "do nothing!" If you feel that is what I am saying then I have not communicated well - sorry!

I do believe we have work to do. That is why I am here in Uganda!

I believe that the gospel will end injustice! The gospel will heal this land. It will bring evil men to repentance (Kony is one of thousands of evil doers). The gospel will cause Africans to stand against the injustice in their land. The gospel will restore the broken - those who have lived in fear or are swept away by bitterness from the past. 

But this will only happen when a righteous generation rises up within Africa. Not when a foreign army enters the land. I believe the answer lies within the Africa people themselves. They can bring renewal as they spread the gospel across this land.

So for those who want something to do - why not get behind a movement that empowers Africans to solve Africa's problems? I figure it is only fitting to put video links - feel free to re-post them...
The crisis in Africa!


ARCC Vision







3 comments:

Chunaker said...

After reading your posts, I think I have a bearing on where you're coming from.

I believe that people have been praying. For more than 26 years. And now those prayers are being answered.

Invisible Children is doing its part in the world. They set out to raise awareness, and awareness they have raised on a scale and level unseen before in history. Never has a video gone viral so fast as KONY 2012. Never has Kony and his atrocities been so unignored and cared about. The change in ignorance and apathy ought to have the world rejoicing, not begrudging how infamous he has become. It's not that the organizations you've listed are better than IC, it's that they have a different model. IC has Central African programs that are revolutionary in being Ugandan inspired, Ugandan led, using Ugandan human resources and Ugandan natural resources. Yes, IC puts a percentage of their revenue in to awareness, but that is because they are awareness, advocacy, and African-programs based organizations all in one.

In each area they have excelled. In advocacy, they drafted, passed, and enacted the most bipartisan sponsored bill to ever go through the legislative and executive system in America on behalf of Africa in history. I talked about African-based programs earlier. And in awareness, never has a video gone viral so fast in history, especially one which gave voice to the stories of countless Central Africans who have been affected by Kony and the LRA.

I hope you can see the effectiveness of IC upon the world and God's hand in their work. From working with them, I know that the only reason they aren't officially a religious institution is because religiously affiliated institutions and organizations cannot have a presence in high schools - eliminating almost the entirety of their target demographic for their national awareness tours in which they show their documentaries, for free, to campuses, businesses, places of worship, and more.

Their website shows their staff, largely comprised of Ugandans; and their programs which create sustainable economic development for Ugandans, restores schools and rebuilds the education system, and rehabilitates those affected by the LRA.

Margrave said...

Jeff, thanks for posting your comments on this issue.

I don't agree with all of your points but your critiques are much more educated and Gospel-centered than some of the negativity out there. Our reliance SHOULD be on the Gospel and SHOULD on God as the provider of justice and peace and restoration.

However, as a High School Teacher, I have seen youths inspired by the IC movement to think outside of themselves and apply the Gospel to victims of injustice. IC's means may not be Gospel-centered but their affect on many has been to grow their awareness, compassion, activism and even evangelism as urgency grows in their hearts. I have seen this affect in so many and I'm am exceedingly thankful for IC because their programs in Uganda have been done by others for years, but their tactics in promoting it has been innovative and changed many lives.

I think IC has tapped into the natural sense of justice that we all long for and that seems to be lacking in this situation (and many others). God will provide ultimate justice but hoping for criminal justice is not a bad thing? Is it? 27 minutes of prayer is clearly a better way to spend our time but, this could catalyze many to consider issues they have never considered before.

Thanks for your perspective! We will continue to pray for your ministry at the college!!

I will back in June with another team, maybe we can visit you?

Jeff said...

Hi Margrave

Thanks for visiting the site! I am happy to hear that it is not coming across as a negative critique - that is not my intention at all in joining the Kony 2012 conversation.

We would be happy to have you stop by the school in June with your team. Email - jatherstone@arccuganda.org to set up the details.

Thanks for the work you are doing with your students in the US!