17 July 2012

No one said this would be easy...

I have had an ongoing fantasy...

Where I am working 40 hours a week at Starbucks... I work hard... I enjoy my free cup of coffee each day... then I go home and don't think about work until the next day when I show up...

I recently shared this fantasy with a friend... while at Starbucks... and he showered me with a quick dose of reality and said... "you would hate it in less than a week!" It wasn't the response I was hoping for but I am glad he said it.

It's true... for as much as I wished I didn't care... especially on discouraging days.... I couldn't imagine going through life just surviving and not caring about what I do...

Today was a day when I have to remember my friends advice...

We got two doses of discouraging news:

1) The judge didn't show up for our court case last week. Now the squatters have 5 weeks to build on our land and apparently the authorities will not do anything to stop them. We won't quit our efforts to stop them at all but is so discouraging to see corruption and outright theft take place while no one in authority seems to be bothered in the slightest. Please pray for the staff that have worked tirelessly on this project. It is so discouraging to see the squatters rewarded for stealing our land.

2) If the land issue wasn't discouragement enough we hit another snag in the accreditation process.  Over the last year we have continually asked the National Council for Higher Education to provide us with a road map towards becoming a University. Each time we have followed their exact advice only to be re-directed at the end of a long project. We just finished our second 100 page application and submitted it to the NCHE this month but due to disagreements among NCHE members they have asked us to take another path towards becoming a University. It appears that the two men at the NCHE who have been helping us through this process are at odds and they are using our application to sort out their dispute. We still will become a University but the road just got a bit more difficult and the directions are not as clear as before.

So I was whining again today but this time to my dad... he reminded me of James 1:2,3  - "consider it all joy when you encounter various trials knowing that the testing of your faith will produce perseverance." At this point it seems like we are training for an ultra-marathon... my prayer is that in all of it I will remember the struggles of today when the land issue is resolved and the school is a university. After all the challenges we have been through as a school these issues are not too big for God to resolve. Right now He has a greater purpose which is to build our faith and increase our perseverance...

I guess it is like training for a marathon. Training is never fun... but finishing the race makes it all worth it!


1 comment:

Brian Park said...

I read the following just before reading this post. Thought it may be encouragement: Daniel 3:16-18, "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Love the uncompromised faith and resolve of these three, their acknowlegement of God's sovereignty, and their bravery through the trial. The glory was the Lord's, regardless of the outcome. Blessings, my friend! Cheering you on and praying you forward.