15 September 2012

Land Progress???


About a month ago I was having a conversation with two of our older students and I felt prompted (feel free to give the Holy Spirit credit on this one) to ask advice about our land struggles… one of them is a respected woman who has lived in Buloba her whole life and has many realitives in the community… the other is a widow but her husband was wise in handling finance and land matters…

Both had the same advice… they asked why I had not appealed to the elders of the community for help… specifically the former high ranking government official (if you know who this is please do not use his name in any communications) whom they knew I had an established relationship with…

The idea had crossed my mind before… but I felt uncomfortable since he is my landlord and the conflict over the land is with a relative of his… my worry was this could bring the conflict directly into my home (literally)…

But both assured me that he is an honest man and will only do what is right for us… so last Saturday I appealed for his help… to my surprise he was angry with me (but not for what I expected)… with a loving paternal smile he told me “Jeff you are an idiot for not coming to me sooner! I should have been involved in the beginning!”

Before I left he reminded me that he still had a house for rent that he wanted filled… what should I call this… how about “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours”…

The week progressed well… I got his house filled in two days … His week was also productive… within hours of the meeting he had called the local mayor and police chief and told them he was not happy with their level of support for our school…. He asked them to pledge their help in all of our affairs…

Today we met again was happier than ever with me… I brought his new tenant with 3 months rent in hand… and in return he called his estate manager and together we prepared for him to meet with all of his relatives to share how the one relative had become a shame to the whole family for the way in which he was handling the sale of our land…

So one more time… we need your help! Pray that tomorrow (Sunday morning US time) that the former government official will be able to convince his relatives to rightfully give us the land we paid for … or at least get us further to some form of resolve!

No comments: