19 September 2012

This is why I enjoy the farm...

We just heard back from the NCHE and it wasn't the news I was expecting...

At some point I should just realize that things won't always go the way I want... but when it comes to expectations my glass isn't half full... it is usually overflowing... I want it all to go my way and I am always hopeful that it will...

But after 6+ years in Uganda experience should have taught me by now that whether it is land issues, accreditation, building projects, legal issues or fundraising reality hardly ever seems to meet my overly-optimistic expectations...

And this is why I enjoy the farm...

You won't find my snuggling with goats or rabbits... or even touching animals for that matter... but the highlight of my day at work is usually walking in the gardens... even when nothing is growing you can still see that the ground has been prepared... I feel like this is how work goes sometimes... you do a ton of work but you have nothing to show for it...


I love this picture... despite my poor picture taking ability... of the little mango tree just planted with the massive mango trees behind it... I can imagine the little mango tree dreaming of the day that he no longer has to worry about being trampled or pulled out of the ground because he was mistaken for a large weed... but instead he enjoys the consistency of his fruitful seasons... 

The matoke might be my favorite part of the farm... once it is in the ground you really don't have to do anything... and it keeps growing more trees and more matoke... its a good reminder that sometimes I don't have to do anything... I just need to wait for the right season for the food to be ready...

I usually end my walks in the kitchen... to see what has actually made it from the farm to the kitchen... I don't know why but it always surprises me how much I find... If you look at a plant every day you can feel like it is never growing... but when you look at all the food you know that something great has been accomplished...


On days like today... when I didn't get the answer I wanted (yet)... it's a good reminder to look in the kitchen... metaphorically speaking... God has brought us a long way and I can learn to be patient until the next fruitful season...

1 comment:

Christine Atherstone said...

Your list failed to mention that the farm is also the place you will find your wonderful, amazing wife!