27 March 2013

Lumasaba Dance

I'm pretty sure I agreed to be circumcised last Wednesday...

After 7 years there are still times where I have no clue what is going on... rather than trying to figure it out... sometimes you just have to be a good-sport and go with it!


In chapel this term we have a special song and dance from a different tribe or region each week... this has definitely become one of my highlights of the week as students have added in local instruments, local dress and each week it has become a bit like American Idol where they are each trying to out-do the rest...

Our students from Eastern Uganda (Mbale) raised the bar yet again this last week as they went out to the farm and made costumes out of banana fibers and other vegetation... 

Their hips, shoulders, legs and heads were all going in different directions with such amazing speed and co-ordination that the whole student body was clapping and shouting with joy...



And then it happened... a student reached out for my hand and I was pulled out of my chair... it looked a bit like a recent Insanity workout I had with Shaun T so I just went for it...

I should have paid attention to the sharpening of the machete against the concrete floor before they called me up...  but fortunately the act itself was not performed and everyone had a good laugh at my expense!

Until the next dance...

 

No comments: