15 October 2013

Noah's belated birthday blog...

This blog has evolved over the years from... hey, we live in Africa... to Jeff's manic rants about missions... and finally to hopefully something the boys can one day read to help them remember their early years in Uganda...

Along the way... the Birthday Blog... was invented! Something of a letter to the boys describing who they were at that age and all the mushy stuff this Dad feels about them...

So for the last 11 days I have been experiencing blogger guilt over missing Noah's Birthday... and I couldn't let his 10th year go by without a few words...

First to Christine... Are we old enough to have a 10 year old? It feels like this whole parenting thing is flying by way to fast!

Noah you are simply an amazing kid... recently I have been amazed by your confidence... this weekend Noah asked me to race him in the pool but I gave him a lame excuse about being tired from dropping off Christine off at the airport after mid-night and suggested he challenge other people to the race... there were another 8 or 10 kids in the pool but instead Noah started walking up to all the  men at the pool asking them to race... what a kid! His confidence can be seen everywhere from the classroom, to the stage, to the field or in the pool... and I love to see that confidence spur him on to continually try new things!


Noah I also love that you aren't too cool to hang out with your family... Sunday I drug the boys to a village church service... we are talking about 3 hours and 15 minutes of singing, praying and dad preaching... Noah sat there in the front row smiling at me the whole time... laughing at the dancing, trying to sing the songs in Luganda and then he pulled out my phone and recorded the all 5 points of my sermon... I couldn't even believe your were paying attention!

Noah you are so good with people... your teacher's comment at parent / teacher day was priceless... she said "I fear the day when Noah doesn't come to class... even when I am teaching a boring lesson or the project has totally failed... Noah is the only kid I can always count on to interact and keep the lesson going!" I feel that way often as a dad... like Noah completely understands that I'm not a perfect dad but he is still willing to make it work anyway... thanks kid!

Noah raising you has been the scariest thing I've ever done... but I hope and pray that I only pass on a fear of God rather than a fear of life to you. You were born 5 weeks early and they kept you in the "baby oven" (NICU)... nothing life threatening but just long enough for me to realize I was really a dad... and this last year when you had a peanut reaction and mom drove no less than 140 kph through Kampala  over speed bumps and sidewalks to get you to the hospital I was going 140 kph in the car behind you praying and begging God that you would be alright... but one thing I have had to learn and I'm still trying to learn... especially through raising you... is that living in fear of what could happen is no way to live at all... so just keep remembering to 1) Ask before you eat 2) Bring your Epi-pen everywhere and most importantly 3) Keep trusting God more and more each day... because He has an amazing plan for you my son!

No comments: